DoveTales, An International Journal of the Arts
DoveTales is an extension of our mission to promote writing that explores the many aspects of peace. Our purpose is to expose young writers to a diverse collection of thoughtful works by established and emerging writers, as well as our advisers. The journal will also feature works by the winners of our annual Young Writer Competition. The journal will be released on May 1st, 2017. There is no fee for submission, but please read our guidelines carefully.
Theme: The theme of our 2017 issue of DoveTales is Refugees and the Displaced. As in our previous issues, we encourage contributors to take a broad view of the definitions within the context of peace.
- The reading period begins July 1st, 2016 and ends January 15th, 2017, and the journal will be released on May 1st, 2017.
- In general, we prefer previously unpublished work, but if you feel your published piece is especially relevant to our theme, and you own the rights to it, please give us all the particulars of its publishing history so we can be sure to properly credit the previous publisher.
- Work must be submitted electronically through Submittable. Please include a 50 word third-person biography, and please be sure your contact information and mailing address are current.
- We are happy to accept simultaneous submissions, but please inform us immediately if your work has been submitted elsewhere.
- Contributors maintain all rights to their work but grant Writing for Peace the right to publish work in both hard copy and ebook. Contributors will receive one complimentary hard copy of the journal. Should the piece be re-published later, we would be grateful for a mention.
- Past themes include Occupied (2013), Contrast (2014), Nature (2015), and Family and Cultural Identity (2016).
Fiction and Nonfiction:
We consider short fiction and personal essays with a unique voice. We do not accept genre fiction. We welcome flash fiction, nonfiction and lyric essays, as well as translations, with the author’s permission (if applicable). Though the guidelines are not set in stone, published short stories and essays won’t normally exceed 20 manuscript pages. Please submit one story or essay at a time.
We consider poetry of any style. Please limit poetry submissions to no more than three poems per issue.
We welcome theme oriented interviews with activists and writers who add a unique approach or voice to the conversation. Please send queries to email@example.com with “DoveTales Query” in the subject heading.
Art and Photography:
We welcome your art and photograph submissions. Please submit them in jpeg format through the link below, and include a short cover letter describing why you feel your images are suitable for the DoveTales theme.
Copyright © 2016 Writing for Peace. All rights reserved.