2011 Writing for Peace Young Writers’ Contest
Through our annual creative writing contest, we invite writers to research a new culture, write a poem, essay, or a short story in the voice of a character from that culture and to reflect upon the lessons learned in the form of a short essay. While we encourage writers of all ages to accept this writing challenge and share their results with us, our writing contest is only open to writers between the ages of 13 and 19.
Writing for Peace is pleased to introduce our distinguished panel of judges!
- William Haywood Henderson, MA, will judge the Fiction category.
- Michael Henry, MFA, will judge the Poetry category.
- Phyllis Barber, MFA, will judge the Nonfiction category.
Read more about these accomplished writers on the new “Judges” page!
There is no fee and all contest contributors will receive a certificate of participation.
- First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded in short fiction, nonfiction, and poetry categories.
- First place winners will receive $250.
- Second and third place winners will receive $75.
- Winners and Honorable Mentions will be published in our first Online Journal.
Submissions must be postmarked by March 1st, 2012, and winners will be announced on May 1st, 2012. See guidelines for full details and check out our research and writing tips.
Subscribe to Writing for Peace
While the contest is only open to ages 13 to 19, we invite everyone to subscribe to Writing for Peace and receive periodic updates, news, research and writing tips and prompts.
Become a Sustaining Member and Share the Vision
Generous donations from Sustaining Members have allowed us to add a nonfiction category to our first annual Writing for Peace Young Writers’ Contest. Writing for Peace looks toward establishing an online journal, an annual Rocky Mountain Writing for Peace Workshop that brings together young writers, authors, and peace activists from around the world, substantial scholarships for young writers, and a print anthology.
If you share our vision of a more peaceful and compassionate world, we invite you to join Writing for Peace! Writing for Peace welcomes volunteer writers interested in starting and coaching Writing for Peace Clubs in their area High Schools, as well as readers, and writers with skills in marketing and fund raising. And, of course, we hope you will consider adding Writing for Peace to your charitable giving. For more information, contact us at Editor@writingforpeace.org.
Please send donations to:
- Writing for Peace, P.O. Box 270908, Fort Collins, CO 80525
Writing for Peace gratefully acknowledges our generous sustaining members. Your gifts make possible this vision of a more peaceful world.
- LeRoy and Willean Hornbeck, $100
- Leo and Sandra McGarry, $100
- Craig and Carmel Mawle, $1000
Writing for Peace is a nonprofit organization, currently in the process of applying for 501 c 3 status. Until that process is complete, donations may not be deducted.
Copyright © 2011 Writing for Peace. All rights reserved.