Young Writers Contest Opens for Submissions
September 1, 2019 @ 12:00 am - May 1, 2020 @ 11:59 pm
Writing for Peace challenges young writers (ages 13-19) to expand their empathy skills by researching an unfamiliar culture and writing from the point-of-view of a character within that new world, while exploring social, political, and environmental pressures, and universal themes.
- The deadline for entrance is June 1st, 2020.
- There is no fee for participation.
- Writers, ages 13-19, may submit in one of three categories – poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. Ages are counted from the entry date, and entrants are required to show proof of age (those images are never shared publicly).
- Winners and published finalists will be asked to submit an author’s photograph and biography. We encourage you to explore the past winners’ pages on our website to see the types of information and pictures authors share.
- The contest is open internationally, but all submissions must be written in English and submitted with the completed form. Both American and British English are accepted.
First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry categories. Announcements will be made on June 1st on the Writing for Peace Blog. Be sure to subscribe to our blog to receive email posts and updates.
- First, second, and third place winners will receive a certificate, publication, and an invitation to participate in our 2020 Youth Summit. One Grand Prize Winner will receive $200.
- Winners’ work, photo, bio, and a follow-up interview will be published in our August 1st, 2020, online journal, DoveTales, An International Journal of the Arts.
- Finalists may be eligible for online publication in our Writing for Peace blog, and a chance to work with Writing for Peace editors, as well as opportunities to participate in other Writing for Peace Events, such as our Annual Youth Summit, readings, and possible mentoring opportunities.
- The author will retain copyright of the literary work with the understanding that Writing for Peace may publish in DoveTales, online, and/or republish at a later date in a printed anthology.
Read complete guidelines here.
Copyright © 2019 Writing for Peace. All rights reserved.